1.6
Level of Comfort
Quality of Food

I was on a short visit to India to see my family, and was booked in business class on MH operated/codeshare flights (MH Ticket) from Delhi to Chicago.The flight details are as follows: MH 173- July 7th- DEL-KUL- 1:10-21:05 (Local times) MH 88- July 7th- KUL-TYO- 23:30- 7:40 (8th arrival) MH 9110- July 8th- TYO-ORD- 11:10-9:05 On July 7th, I arrived at the Delhi airport around 1030 AM since MH was showing the DEL-KUL flight on time.

Upon arriving at the check in desk, I was informed that the flight was delayed by 4 hours. This was the first surprise, since the online systems were still showing "on time." Herein started my ordeal with the extremely poorly trained staff at the DEL airport. The 4 hour delay in DEL would have implied me missing my connecting flights to TYO, and subsequently ORD. I was connecting from ORD on a separate ticket to ATL.

The ground staff were pretty unhelpful and seemed to be have no clue on how to rebook a passenger in this situation. It was almost an hour before I finally gave up and called the station manager. This gentleman was actually trained, and he offered to rebook me on a direct JL flight that left in the evening. Due to factors unknown to me, I was told that I had to leave the airport and come back in the evening after calling a number that I was given.

They were unable to issue me a new ticket that time. So, during this time (almost 2 hours of back and forth), my poor parents were waiting outside the airport since I asked them to wait till we knew what was going on. Finally, around noon, I was escorted out of the airport, and my poor parents (my father is a heart patient) came back to pick me up. Please keep in mind that NO offer of any food, transportation, hotel or any assistance was offered or provided by the MH ground staff in DEL!

Since my parents live further away from the airport, and due to traffic congestion, we ended going to a lounge and spent our money to eat a meal and pay for the lounge fees (receipts attached). The total for this comes to about Rps 7,650 (USD-120), and luckily, we saved the receipts. We finally arrived back at the airport again at 5 PM in the evening. We called the number given to us, which was turned off.

After walking up and down the airport, we finally received a call back from the local MH staff and I was escorted back into the airport. At this time, I was taken to the JL counter, since they had a non stop flight to NRT which would connect to the original flight to ORD. It was another 90 minutes before they were able to figure this out, and issue me a boarding pass. So, let me offer a summary- 1) My original flight was at 1 PM local time.

I was not able to leave Delhi till almost around 8 PM in the evening on a JL flight, so this was 7 plus hour delay, not counting the time spent at the airport in the morning trying to get the ground staff to figure this out. 2) During this time, I have documented receipts of about 120 USD spent from my pocket to spend time (outside the airport) between the two flights. 3) This does not include the inconvenience to my old parents, and the petrol money and phone calls made. I do not have a receipt to prove, but it's another USD $40-$50 in costs.

4) Finally, what was most disappointing is that upon contacting the airline, I got a long drawn response with NO offer of any compensation except some miles which are of no use to me. 5) I reviewed the airline's contact of carriage with my lawyer, and section 10.3 clearly states that this situation qualifies for denied boarding compensation (attached document).

6) All in all, this was extremely disappointing.I am a frequent traveler, well versed with passenger rights and airline responsibilities, however, I cannot imagine how less versed people may get treated by MH.

Review about: Malaysia Airlines Customer Care.

I didn't like: Hated, Customer service.

Had an Experience with Malaysia Airlines?

Comments

As of August 23rd, no response from MAVCOM- The Malaysian Agency that regulates carriers. Very disappointed. It looks like a corrupt and broken system, with the agency protecting their own airlines.